Our Sun is temporarily traveling through a tilted ring of bright stars dominated by the OB associations Orion OB1 (Orion's Belt), Scorpius OB2 (Antares and Scorpius the Scorpion), and Perseus OB2 (the California nebula). Beginning just beyond the Gould Belt lies the Vela Molecular Ridge and the bright stars of Canis Majoris.
You are here
- Basic plan of the Milky Way
- Surveying the Galaxy
- Mapping hydrogen
- Face-on map overview
- Introduction to the Milky Way Explorer
- The Cloud Hunters
- The Star Sweepers
- Things Unseen: The Westerhout radio sources
- The Avedisova catalog: A real Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
- Avedisova glossary
- Strange new worlds
- Commentary on the Galactic Plane
- Hydrogen-alpha commentary